What Is an Adjustment of Status in Immigration Law?

If you’re planning on applying for an adjustment of status, the first step you need to take is hiring a reputable and experienced immigration lawyer. For people who meet the eligibility criteria, applying for an adjustment allows you to legally change your status to become a lawful permanent resident without leaving the country.

However, it’s a time-consuming process and has many complex requirements, which is why you’ll need a qualified immigration attorney to help you navigate the process successfully.

Experienced Immigration Lawyer in San Antonio, Texas: The Lozano Law Firm, PLLC

If you need a lawyer for immigration in South Texas, The Lozano Law Firm, PLLC, serves the communities of San Antonio, Laredo, Eagle Pass, and San Angelo, Texas. Our founder and principal attorney, Alfredo Lozano, is passionate about family-based immigration law and is a first-generation American and the son of Mexican immigrants.

Mr. Lozano is also Board Certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in Immigration and Nationality Law, which is another reason why his clients feel so confident in his legal expertise and skill.

If you need an immigration lawyer, call us at The Lozano Law Firm right at (210) 932-3600 to schedule your initial consultation with our talented legal team.

What Is an Adjustment of Status?

If you’re unfamiliar with the phrase “adjustment of status” as it relates to immigration, it’s the technical term for the Green Card application process. You can use this process to apply for lawful permanent resident status without having to return to your home country to complete the visa processing requirements.

Generally, the application and approval timeline ranges between one to three years. However, if you’re in another country, you’ll have to go through consular processing to get your Green Card.

Eligibility Requirements

Not everybody can apply for an adjustment of status. Here’s a quick list of the general requirements:

  • You must be physically present on U.S. soil while your application is in process.
  • You must remain within the eligibility criteria during the length of the application and approval process.
  • You must have entered the U.S. using legal means, such as valid documentation and contact with a U.S. immigration officer.
  • Your history must have no record of criminal activity (some exceptions apply) or unauthorized employment (some exceptions apply).
  • There must be no pending removal (deportation) charges against you.
  • If you entered on the K-1 fiancé visa, you must be married to the U.S. citizen who sponsored your petition.

Do you have questions about whether or not you meet the criteria to apply for a status adjustment? Our legal team at The Lozano Law Firm can help you. Call us and schedule an appointment to discuss your case. During your initial consultation, we’ll discuss the specifics of your case and determine the best method to proceed. By the time we’re finished meeting, you should have all of your questions and concerns answered regarding applying for an adjustment of status.

Application Steps

Although the actual process is a bit more complicated, we’ll give you the condensed version:

  1. Hire a lawyer for immigration that can help you with the application process
  2. Determine if you meet the eligibility requirements
  3. File an immigrant petition
  4. Check to learn if your desired visa is available
  5. Have your lawyer file Form I-485
  6. Complete your biometrics appointment at the Application Support Center
  7. Attend your USCIS interview, if scheduled
  8. If asked, supply additional evidence
  9. Continue to check your case status
  10. Receive an official decision on your status change

Do You Need an Immigration Attorney to File for an Adjustment of Status?

Yes, you should have an immigration attorney to represent you during your application for a status change. If you were to handle the process yourself and make a mistake—even a simple clerical error—you could receive a denial on your application form.

When you hire a lawyer, they’re the ones who handle all the paperwork and filing, ensuring that you don’t miss a deadline and that every form is correct. A competent immigration lawyer can tell you exactly what to expect from the USCIS and the entire Green Card process. You’ll have peace of mind that your application is in the hands of a professional with both skill and experience.

Call The Lozano Law Firm Today to Start Your Status Adjustment

At The Lozano Law Firm, PLLC, we work hard to help families and corporations through the immigration maze™. We believe that immigrants are really good for our country, and we will make every effort within our area of law to help clients obtain legal status in the United States.

Alfredo Lozano, a board-certified immigration attorney in good standing licensed to practice U.S. immigration law, can help you navigate the confusing adjustment of status paperwork with expertise, dedication, and an individual approach. Fill out our contact form or call us at (210) 932-3600 to get started.


Copyright © 2022. The Lozano Law Firm, PLLC. All rights reserved.


The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author or the law firm, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting based on any information included in or accessible through this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.

The Lozano Law Firm, PLLC
5718 University Heights Blvd #104
San Antonio, TX 78249
(210) 932-3600

Scroll to Top